Last year, Black Forest Games released the first Bubsy game in about twenty years to a resounding ‘mehhh’. Now, another company is taking a shot with the widely-maligned bobcat with Paws on Fire, an endless runner.
A history of what could go wrong.
Bubsy is one of many mascot characters created to emulate Sonic and Mario during the 16-bit era. Created by Accolade, he was marginally more successful than most of them, but not by much. The games generally featured Bubsy fighting off the Woolies, a race of aliens that ate yarn. He had three 2D platformer games, a fourth 3D one on the PlayStation that tanked horribly, and a rejected cartoon pilot. Nowadays, he’s usually the butt of many jokes.
However, last year, Bubsy got his first game in two decades with the help of Black Forest Games. Black Forest Games is mostly known for remastering the Giana Sisters, which was originally a Commodore 64 bootleg of Super Mario Bros. Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back could have been his big break, but it was highly forgettable, with adequate but uninspired gameplay, two hours of content and little replay value. I personally blame it’s failure on featuring a story involving the Golden Fleece yet no mention of Jason and the Argonauts.
Cats have nine lives, y’know.
Two days ago, Choice Provisions, the creators of the BIT.TRIP games, have announced their attempt with the pun-loving bobcat. Bubsy: Paws on Fire is an endless runner scheduled for Q1 2019. The game’s features, according to NinMobileNews, include (my notes in bold):
- Four playable characters, each with their own unique mechanics! Fly and shoot your way through the air as The Woolie, take it underground with Arnold’s (Bubsy’s long-suffering armadillo friend with a fear of trucks) bonus levels, or run your way to victory with Bubsy and Virgil Reality
- An all-new story featuring the unlikely alliance between Bubsy and his archrivals, The Woolies!
- Over 100 levels set across three different worlds!
- Three boss battles!
- A unique combo system and set of leaderboards for every character!
- A shop with costumes and cosmetics, all of which players can unlock just by playing the game. There are no in-game purchases!
- Unique character dialog for every level!
- A variety of collectible types, ensuring maximum replayability!
- The return of Oinker (the villain of Bubsy 2), Terri, Terry (Bubsy’s niece and nephew), and many other characters from previous Bubsy incarnations! We’ve even included Virgil Reality from the Bubsy pilot–we dug deep!
See if Bubsy can make a good game this time in Q1 2019 on PC, PS4, and Nintendo Switch.
Fun fact: This isn’t the original Accolade making the game. Billionsoft bought the company name and is using it to make the game.