Edmund McMillen has been teasing details about a new multiplayer game for the past few days. Titled The Binding of Isaac: Four Souls, the game will be seeing an official announcement later this week.
The Strategizing of Isaac
Over the past week, developer Edmund McMillen has been teasing the announcement of a new game on Twitter. He has previously stated that it would be a turn-based multiplayer game. It would be connected to one of his games, but not directly connected to Binding of Isaac, Super Meat Boy, or his upcoming match-4 puzzle RPG The Legend of Bum-bo.
Since then, he has offered clarification on the last detail. It is in fact a Binding of Isaac game, but also something completely new. It’s “…a spinoff that kind of connects the end of Isaac to ideas I have for a sequel,” and is set “…after/during the end of the current game.” Here are some of the known details gleaned from Edmund’s Twitter:
- The game will be titled The Binding of Isaac: Four Souls. This is likely a nod to the Nintendo GameCube game The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures. The title was planned to be announced along with the game, but Edmund’s wife leaked the title a bit early, and Edmund confirmed it:
— Edmund McMillen (@edmundmcmillen) June 25, 2018
- The game can only be played in local multiplayer, with no single player component or online multiplayer. Edmund states that four players “…is ideal.”
- The game is a turn-based casual strategy game that uses cards. Despite being a card game, it doesn’t have a mana or land system like Hearthstone or Magic: The Gathering (which Edmund is a known fan of.)
- There are currently eight playable characters, with more in development. Judging by the current artwork, four of these characters will be Isaac, Magdaline, Cain, and Judas.
More details will likely be available when the game is officially announced Wednesday.
The project has been revealed on Kickstarter. It’s a card game between four players. The Kickstarter, which has already hit 100%, can be found here.
Latest posts by Brian Renadette (see all)
- American Nintendo President Reggie Fils-Aime Retiring in April - February 22, 2019
- Yoshi Music Used in EPA Flash Game Without Permission - February 21, 2019
- Epic Games Sues Unofficial Fortnite Festival - February 20, 2019